It seems simple enough – just lay out a trap or some poison and your mouse problems will disappear, right? Unfortunately, that's not always the case. Here are the top reasons why you should leave mouse removal in your home or business to the professionals.
5 Reasons Why Only Professionals Should Handle Mouse Removal:
- Warfarin poisoning. Warfarin poisoning is not pretty. If a mouse eats warfarin poisoning and is then eaten by a household pet—things can get ugly or even deadly. Warfarin works by attacking the clotting agents in your pet's blood, causing them to bleed and go into anemia and then shock. The cost of the vet combined with the emotional toll of poisoning your pet are not worth it. Neither is the Hantavirus.
- Hantavirus. Mouse droppings, urine, and saliva can carry what’s known as Hantavirus. This virus can be inhaled by humans. If this happens, the virus causes a serious lung disease that acts like the flu but rapidly progresses to further problems. If that doesn't sound serious enough, consider that though the disease is somewhat rare, it has a 40 percent death rate. Suffice it to say, Hantavirus is an important thing to keep in mind before you go after that annoying mouse.
- They bite. Mice don't have rabies, but they can carry rat bite fever. Rat bite fever is caused by a bacterial infection that spreads quickly from the bite site. Symptoms include fever, swelling joints, rash, skin irritation and ulcers, chills, and swelling in the lymph nodes. Infection could require a trip to the doctor for confirmation and a solid dose of antibiotics.
- They can literally drive you crazy. Due to the unique skeletal structure many rodent species share, they're really good at running and getting through very small spaces (down to a quarter of an inch). You're not going to follow that through the wall.
- You have better things to do with your time. You haven't been trained to know where mice live. A pest control expert can find and eliminate the nest much more quickly and effectively.
If you keep these reasons in mind, you'll be able to avoid a lot of the pitfalls DIYers encounter when trying to remove mice from their home. If you need a quality company to remove your home's mouse problem and don't know who to call, the professionals at Breda Pest Management are here to help. Schedule a free consultation with us today and find out why we've been one of Georgia's top choices for more than 40 years.